Welcome to The Verandah
We warmly invite you to share our beautiful Edwardian Villa on Bluff Hill situated only a short distance from the famous Bluff Hill Lookout and within minutes to downtown Napier.
The Verandah is an apt name for a home that is encased within a wide verandah surrounding near half the house. This is where you kick your shoes off, put your feet up and leave the world behind. Relaxing on the verandah one feels like one is sitting high above a forest. This is Sturm’s Gully where Wood-pigeon, Bellbird and Tui make their home. The tranquillity of this home will have you relaxing and unwinding from the moment you arrive.
Enjoy the spacious sun-room which flows out onto the verandah with Pacific Ocean sea views. From here you can watch the cruise ships and fishing boats come and go and on clear days you can see Mahia Peninsula to the East.
We invite you to some private and relaxed luxury, in either of the two large queen size bedrooms. Both bedrooms have Sky T.V and free Wi Fi, own private bathroom or en suite. Breakfast is included within your package, so you can enjoy a full continental and/or cooked breakfast. A shared 24 hour Tea and Coffee making facility is ‘next door’ for both bedrooms and is complimentary with any treat you find here. Enjoy, anywhere any time. A fridge is also available here for your convenience.
We would love to help you with your questions and daily arrangements. Walking paths to various destinations begin at our front gate:
- Bluff Hill Lookout (10 minutes walk through Sturms Gully) this overlooks the Port and has wonderful views North to Westshore, Tongoia, Waipatiki, East to Mahia and South to Cape Kidnappers. The Heritage Trail, Napier Hill Drive with optional walks is right here too.
- Ahuriri (25 minutes walk) with its Shops, Cafes, Bars, Restaurants, Playground and Marina. It is the heart of fishing and sailing. For a safe and sheltered swim (10 minutes walk). Relax at The Globe Theatrette (20 minutes walk), a boutique cinema.
- Napier Central Business District. (10 minutes walk) this is Art Deco City Napier. Enjoy a very unique guided Tour from the Art Deco Trust centre. See the new MTG Hawke’s Bay Museum. The National Aquarium of NZ with Kiwi house is along Marine Parade, past the Ocean Spa swim pools, War Memorial Conference centre, sound shell and colonnade, i-site, mini golf, sunken gardens and great expanse of play and picnic area.
From our front gate on Lighthouse Road you see beyond Napier Marine Parade, towards Awatoto, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton. Te Mata Peak and the Havelock North Hills is the backdrop (The Sleeping Giant).
- Clifton is the departing point to Cape Kidnappers and the Gannet Colony, a wonderful day trip experience by Safaris Overland or Beach Adventures.
- Play golf at the magical Cape Kidnappers Golf Course, Clifton.
- And Te Mata Peak Lookout is a really stunning place to be. Walk the walks.
- Visit our regions wonderful Hawkes Bay Wineries, we will recommend tours that others have so enjoyed.
- Hire a bike and enjoy the many many Hawke’s Bay Trails.
Beat is originally from Schwyz, Switzerland. Swiss German speaking and has lived in N.Z for over thirty years, working as a Builder/Tiler. Gaye was born in Napier and grew up in Hawkes Bay, from a farming background and a Dressmaker by trade. Jacob is nineteen years old and studies at Wellington University, he will also host when at home with us. He is our Musician, one of our joys.